An Inquiry Project by Emily Wynans

Practice… But Far From Perfect

Over the last few weeks, my work on this project has been entirely focused around practicing some basic crocheting skills and beginning to learn some of the crochet techniques that pertain more directly to crocheting stuffed animals.

It’s been hard.

I hadn’t crocheted for a good few months by the time I began this project, and the lack of recent practice shows. Even just getting used to some of the most basic crocheting skills again such as single crochet stitches and double crochet stitches has been really difficult, and I think it mostly comes down to a lack of muscle memory.

When you’re crocheting, a huge part of being able to get anywhere with it is just knowing how to hold your yarn and your crochet hook as you work, and how to balance the two as they move together. While it’s been easy to watch videos of other people demonstrating simple crocheting skills and think: “hey, I could do that!”, it’s been really hard to actually get my hands to hold the yarn with enough tension, to balance the crochet hook at the same time, and to get the motions coordinated simultaneously to actually have any success.

I hope that soon I’ll be able to feel more confident in my crocheting skills, but lately it’s been hard to even want to pick up my yarn and hook knowing that I could very well come out of practicing even more frustrated than I already am.

« »